Header

Header

6/03/2013

Sloan Homestead Update: Pregnancy and Chicken Chopping

Wow, I really haven't posted on here in quite a while! I just wanted to post a little update on what's been going on recently! Starting with the most important:

Baby #2 - I Love Being Pregnant:

So, we're expecting Sloan Baby #2 around Thanksgiving this year! My "due date" is actually on November 28th...so I'm either going to be HUGE on Thanksgiving or I'm going to be eating pumpkin pie in bed!

We are having a home birth -- with Little Loo we ended up transporting after 31 hours before maternal exhaustion became a problem...little did we know I was in transition, but hey -- now I know what to expect! 

I'm really looking forward to giving birth at home. Laboring at home was such a delight and actually bringing my child into the world in the comfort of home...I can't imagine how amazing it's going to be. :)

I think it's a girl. Please, let it be a girl. I'm so attached to her name: Ember Sloan.

Chicken Chopping: A Crazy Experience

These are all my chickens. A couple of months back, a week or so after I found out I was pregnant...I decided to slaughter one!

I built a fire, fashioned a grate, and boiled some really hot water to scald the feathers off of the chicken after it was dead.

There she is...hanging upside down for a minute to calm down so I can slit her throat. 

Sparing you the slaughtering scene...there she is while I'm plucking feathers and cutting her open to remove the innards. Unfortunately, I didn't know that she was just starting to lay again, so there was a production line of eggs inside of her.

The chicken after it was cooked, pulled apart.

Aaaand...the left over bones!

No comments:

Post a Comment