Header

Header

6/09/2012

Little House on the Farm

Shabbat - June 9th, 2012

Little House on the Farm -- Counting my Blessings


About a year ago, I never thought I'd be here, sitting in my rocking chair, looking out the window to view farm land. It's a far cry from the view I had then -- a wooden fence, a driveway for a backyard, and bars. Yeah, downtown wasn't exactly our ideal place to start our life, but it worked. 

A year later, I have a son who's 7 months old -- the light of my life. It still amazes me how he went from being this small little 6lb/14oz sea monkey to this 18lb chunky monkey! I feel kind of silly sometimes when I realize how big of a deal I make over his little accomplishments -- sitting up, having two teeth, rolling and rolling and rolling. 

I'm so blessed though, that I do get to make a big deal over these things: most mothers don't get a chance, especially at my age. It's not common that a young woman gets the chance to stay home with her child every single day and marvel over his progress in such a short amount of time. I get to nurture him in ways that no day-care worker can, I have tools that previous generations would have killed to have had, and I have a wonderful support group of family and friends who respect my decisions to home school, breastfeed, co-sleep, etc. I am truly blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment