Header

Header

11/03/2012

Yahweh Supports Nose Rings!

While I was in Korea, (still there by the way), I got my nose pierced! And, of course, since piercing your nose definitely has a stigma surrounding it, I have received many questions about my choice, especially as a Believer.


My beautiful new nose ring! :)

So, before anyone else decides to give me flack about piercing my nose, here's some scriptural basis for piercing your nose. :)

Ezekiel 16:12: And I put a ring on your nose, and earrings in your ears, and a beautiful crown on your head. 

That was Yahuah speaking to Yisreal, figuratively, as his Bride. Why would He even mention putting a ring in 'her' nose if it was frowned upon? 

Secondly, look at Genesis 24:47!


"And I asked her, 'Whose daughter are you?' She said, 'I am the daughter of Bethuel, son of Nahor, whom Milkah bore to him.' Then I put a ring in her nose and bracelets on her arms."
Rebekkah wore a nose ring! And no body thought anything of it, because it was normal, as it should still be now. 

Many ask, "Well, what about in Torah where it says not to make cuts in your skin or have tattoos?"

Tattoos are one thing, since they are pagan in origin. As far as cuts in the skin, think more along the lines of self-mutilation. Pagan priests to Baal "slashed themselves with swords and spears, as was their custom until their blood flowed." (1 Kings 18:28)

I don't think that piercing my nose falls under that category. 

A few versions of the 'Bible' show the word "nose" as "forehead". Later translations have corrected this mistake.




On that note, knowing Scripture doesn't contradict itself, and Yahuah, Elohim of the Universe, seems to be okay...then why not! I think that married women, especially within the Covenant, should go for it! Personally, I think they are elegant, especially when very small and shiny. ;)


Shalom!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting that and answering some questions! I'm sure I wasnt the only curious one. I did think of the Rebecca account prior to it being mentioned. ;) What about other piercings? Like ears or eyebrows or what-not? I have pierced ears, but I'm debating if/when I should ever get my daughter's ears pierced.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From what I understand, it doesn't forbid any other piercings. Only tattoos and mutilating yourself, because both are pagan in origin. Scripture does urge women to be modest, and that's a whole other subject entirely. I think as long as the woman still looks womanly and feminine and isn't distracting, I personally don't see a problem with it. I can see a Torah-observant woman with an eyebrow piercing wearing her hair long/covering her hair with and modest attire perfectly acceptable, but I can see how someone with that exact same piercing dressing 'loudly' with multiple other piercings becoming a problem as far as modestly goes. I think that's up to the conscience of each particular Believer. :) I have my ears pierced and my nose done as well, but I have no wish to pierce any further.

      Delete
  2. I'm still exploring this idea and prayerfully seeking guidance along with hubs on the subject. The thing I have a problem with that I keep coming back to, is yes. The word speaks of nose rings and earrings, but does it say he pierced her ears? Or pierced her nose? To be honest here, I have to say no, that it doesnt. Because of that, I have hesitated. I know nose cuffs and earrings were popular back then, but I haven't yet found evidence that hebrew women actually pierced any part of their body.i have read many articles in support of it as yours does, claiming Yahweh supports your piercing of the nose or ears, but then also read the same people saying other piercings and tattoos may be considered pagan by Yahweh. it seems inconsistent to me.

    I truly do not know either way. So for now, while i dont stand in judgement against those that do,I will refrain.

    - Lorinda

    ReplyDelete