Header

Header

10/05/2012

Sukkot: It's In Tents!

This week, my family and I are observing Sukkot, the last fall feast of the year. It's an eight day festival in which we dwell in tents and rejoice. It's a rememberance of the time the children of Yisre'al wandered in the desert as well as a foreshadowing of  a future time in which the Messiah will tabernacle with men upon His return.

Because of tight budgets for all parties, this year, instead of going off to a camp site to observe this wonderful feast, we are camping in the pasture adjacent to my husband's family's home.



On 1st Day (Sunday), it rained while the men were setting up the tents and us women-folk scurried around (myself with my son on my back) situating tables, chairs, beds and whatnot. Mattresses were scrubbed down, various food boxes hauled and bed-frames put together.

All was well, even if we were a bit soggy.

And then there were the ants.

At this moment, I probably have about twelve ant bites in various places all over my feet. Unknowingly, we situated the food tent right over various small ant piles. So, while standing around chatting, looking at the progress we made, we all got bit.

Thankfully, my husband is a professional bug-killer and within a day, all of the bugs were gone. But the bites weren't, which made for a very uncomfortable night.

The Sabbath has just started as I am typing this now. It's been a full week with two days and one night left of this wonderful feast.

Erev Shabbat (the day before Shabbat, "Friday"), we spent the entire day preparing. Four loaves of Challah, a beautiful Menorah-lit feast outside under the camoflauge, and a trip (mid-day) to the local thrift store. During the Sabbath meal, my three sister-in-laws, my mother-in-law and I sang the "Sabbath Song" by Zemer Levav. It was truly beautiful.

We enjoyed making kosher-smores over a roaring fire and gathered for coffee and conversation in the food tent every morning.

I'm so happy to have been able to share this special time with my family and my son. :)

For now, here are some additional pictures of our camp (more to come):


Our Food Tent/Coffee Station

 

No comments:

Post a Comment