Header

Header

9/28/2013

Counting the Days: Baby #2

I have 62 days left until the birth of my second child.

It's a little daunting.

I keep asking myself, "how am I going to manage two?"

Once I've panicked a little, a softer voice in the back of my mind reminds me of some things:

I have done this before. I can birth a baby without pain medication. I can breastfeed my baby. I know how to do it, so it won't be this learning experience all over again. I know how to take care of children, in sickness and in health.

I have stayed on top of my oldest's discipline and training, so I have the advantage of him being able obey. I feel really sorry for women who are chasing down their toddler who is screaming and running away from them with another baby in their arms. I am really thankful that 'Son, come to mama' is enough and that I don't have to raise my voice or sound nasty to get my child to listen.

R-e-s-p-e-c-t...it goes both ways. 


Sometimes I worry about the mild case of postpartum depression I went through (it lasted three months) and I wonder if it will return this time around.

But then that voice reminds me, yet again:

I've done this before. Last time was harder -- there were job stresses and now you're in a comfortable position. You had NO idea how to keep a house last time and now you know what you're doing. You actually know how to use a baby wrap/carrier this time...that is going to be extremely valuable when you're getting housework done/spending time with Little Loo.

And you know that you can loose all the baby weight...because you've done it. Face it, you're one hot mama.

So, deep down, I really do know what I'm doing, I guess it's just fear of the unknown. 

Hopefully, I will deliver this child in the safety of my own home. I know labor isn't going to last 31 hours like last time. I know what contractions feel like and I know that they are nothing to be afraid of...because really, pain is useful and makes us wiser, as long as we don't turn it into a "suffering" mindset.

I can't wait to immerse myself in birth, to just completely give in this time and let my body do it's thing. I can't wait to greet my son or daughter with open arms...at home, with my family.

No comments:

Post a Comment